Thursday, January 14, 2010

Mick Green, guitarist - 1944 - 2010







Sad news this week on the passing of Mr. Mick Green, guitarist for the estimable Pirates from the U.K. I turned on to these guys back when I was a mere lad hoovering in all kindsa music. Green was regarded as not only a super influential guitarist but a guy that could be counted on to blow minds with his ability to play lead and rhythm structures at the same time. You need to have seen it to believe it. I never saw him play live but I was passed a live dvd of The Pirates live on German tv and seeing him play is something I won't ever forget. The Pirates were influential to an entire generation of players and ask anyone of his fans - from Lemmy (Ian Fraiser Kilmister)  to Wilko Johnson who their guitar god was and they would buy a drink and shout "Mick Green!" from any grimy rooftop in London you could point them to. Apparently he has already been chucked in the clay, never again to twang righteously except in a tough as nails band in Rock and Roll heaven. Green can never be replaced. You would do yrself a huge favour by checking out anything you can find on the old YouTube to see the late, great master in full flow. Trust me. I know what I am talking about. The world is now lighter by one majestic fellow. Mick, travel safe and trust that you will be oh so fondly remembered down here on this mortal coil. ROCK!

No comments:

Post a Comment